I’m Karen Inglis – welcome to my author website! Whether you’re a young reader, a parent, a school or a bookseller I hope you’ll enjoy looking around!
I live in Barnes, South-West London with my husband and our cat Misty. We have two sons who are away at university and on gap years now – but like all good students they keep in touch whenever they need money! That’s Misty below – we adopted her from a cat rescue charity seven years ago when she was about a year old.
Becoming a children’s author…
I first started writing for children when the boys were toddlers…. in fact three of the books you’ll find here were written when they were younger and sat in a box for over 10 years after I went back to my day job (which is also writing)! I then took a break from work in 2010 and decided that it was time to look at them again. There was a lot of rewriting and editing to do – it’s definitely the hardest part of being a writer – but it was worth it! Over 7,000 children have enjoyed my books at the last count :-)
Here’s my office, where I do most of my writing and editing and blogging… I do my professional writing here too. Most of most of it’s about money and tax, which is nowhere near as fun as making up stories!
And here’s the view to my garden in Spring – there’s a wonderful Magnolia tree that comes into bloom just for a few days.
About my children’s books…
Follow the links at the top of the screen or below to find out about my books – you can order all of them online or from you local bookshop. (Your bookshop should be able to get in copies within a week and often much sooner.)
- The Secret Lake – a ‘time-slip’ mystery adventure for readers aged 8-11 yrs
- Eeek! The Runaway Alien - a fast-paced story about an alien who loves football and runs away to Earth for the World Cup! (age 7-10 yrs)
- Henry Haynes and the Great Escape – a fun graphic novel for early readers, ages 6-8, about a boys who falls inside his library book
- Ferdinand Fox’s Big Sleep - a rhyming picture book for age 2-5 yrs (colouring book also available!)
How my books get made…
I’m what’s called an ‘Author publisher’ or ‘Self-published’ author – lots of writers are doing their own publishing these days, because it means that we can get our stories out to our readers more quickly than waiting to be discovered by a publishing house… This means that as well as writing the book I organise everything else – including finding an illustrator and cover designer, getting the book interior designed and formatted (I do some of this myself, but not all!) then uploaded to the printer or Amazon.
Once the book is up there, there’s all the marketing to do – so that people know it’s available and can buy it!
If you think you’d like to be a writer one day, you can find out how went about self publishing at my writer’s blog at selfpublisingadventures.com
And here’s what else you can do here:
- Learn about my new children’s book app
- Link to free colouring sheets, quizzes and other resources
- Book a school visit
- Order books for party bags for UK delivery
- Click through to order from Amazon using the right-hand links
- Order personalised signed copies of my books (UK only)
- Read my blog page – to find out what I’ve been up to recently
If you can’t find something – or simply want to ask me a question, feel free to email using the contact link above.
If you’d like me to contact you when my next book is out, or when I have other important news, sign up below – I won’t share your details and you can unsubscribe any time.
Subscribe to my very occasional newsletter!
Have fun :)